Scorup Cabin

Scorup Cabin

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Horses and Souls

“When I bestride him, I soar, I am a hawk: he trots the air; the earth sings when he touches it; the basest horn of his hoof is more musical than the pipe of Hermes. ”
― William Shakespeare, Henry V  

This quote quite perfectly describes what I feel when I'm with horses.  I'm a friendly person, but I'd rather spend time watching and working horses than wandering around large crowds of humans.  Throughout the past several years, horses have gotten me through some tough times.  The horses themselves were sometimes tough, but it gave me something else to think about.  Something to put all my energy into, to concentrate on and wear myself out over.  When I'm on a horse, or working with a colt, my mind is blank.  My heart rate slows, my breathing calms, I lose all inhibitions, worry, stress and pain.  Its just me and them.  Horses have forever calmed my soul.  I don't know exactly what they feel, I can't talk to them.  But I can change their body to change their mind.  The moment when they drop their head, lick their lips and soften their eye always satisfies me.  Even if we don't accomplish anything else, I know for that period of time they let me see them.  For that moment I feel as though our souls connected.  So, tonight I thought I'd share some photos of the horses that are currently helping me to forget.




No comments:

Post a Comment