Scorup Cabin

Scorup Cabin

Thursday, July 4, 2013

12 Years Ago

I would like to say we all know, but given today's society the more correct phrase is probably most of us know about Arlington National Cemetery.  Arlington is the final resting place of more than 14,000 veterans, including some from the Civil War.  It's beautiful and peaceful and to me an honor to visit.  These veterans came from all over the country, from all walks of life, but they all had one thing in common.  Pride, duty and commitment to our country.  Some died fighting for our freedom, some lived a full life after serving.  No matter the manner of death to each and every one I say Thank You.
12 years ago, 3 months before the attack on the Twin Towers I had a chance of a lifetime.  I was fortunate enough to get to go on a school field trip with a school in town to Washington D.C. and New York City.  That in and of itself was amazing, but it got better.  I was one of 4 chosen to lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.  Talk about an honor!  My papas eyes were filled with pride when I came home and told him what I was going to do on our trip.  I was ecstatic to simply be going, to get to see Arlington with my own eyes, and this, well this was just unimaginable.  A memory that I will have forever, an honor to be able to pay tribute to those who never made it home.  There may be only 1 body buried in that tomb, but it represents every soldier never identified.  I can only hope that in some way that offers peace to their souls.  Of course I had a lot of pictures from that trip, 7 rolls to be exact.  I have no idea where they are though, so I just have this one that hangs in my mamas office.  The trip was amazing.  We toured the cemetery, visited statues, buildings as well as the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall.  Our cousin died in the line of duty and it would have meant a tremendous amount to my papa to bring back his name etched in coal.  There are over 58,000 names on The Wall though and I just didn't have enough time to find him.

Not a fabulous picture since I snapped it from my phone.
 
I got this one from the internet, but I took one exactly like it.

Happy 4th of July America!

Xo Loves,

Me

No comments:

Post a Comment