Scorup Cabin

Scorup Cabin

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Maine

Have you ever been?  It started as a simple dream on a list of things to do and has now grown into a full "I have to do this".

We all know where Maine is, but did you know that the Pine Tree State is the least populated state east of the Mississippi?  That just makes me want to go even more!  Maine has 230 miles of coastline and 3,500 miles of tidal coastline.  The coast out there is entirely different than what we're used to here.  Geologists describe Maine's coast as a "drowned coast".  Meaning that a rising sea level made bays out of valleys and islands out of mountain tops.

And the weather?!  Oh, it's marvelous.  Summertime highs reach up into the 80's with an all time record high of 105 clear back in 1911.  I really am excited about the winter.  I truly do love the extreme cold, maybe it's the bragging rights of sayin "ye'ah it's 30 below heah".  Low temps in the winter on average are below 0 with a new record in 2009 of -50!!!  Yea! Where can I get a nice fur-lined coat and Muk Luks?  Maine also has fewer days of thunderstorms than any state east of the Rockies.  Oh and did I mention that Tornadoes are a rare occurrence?  Sounds perfect to me!

While doing some research it seems many residents leave for the winter.  I guess they live like geese :).  There are numerous beautiful, old homes for rent from September-May with pretty reasonable prices.  Maine has the highest percentage of French speaking people in the US, which isn't odd considering there are a lot of French or French-Canadian descendants there.  So maybe if I say Eh a lot I won't stick out like a native Californier...  Can ya blame a gal from going back to her roots?  Well maybe a bit too far north, but the Algonquian language is the same.

I don't plan on living there indefinitely, well unless I meat a hot fisherman, or would it be bugger?  Oh well, when in Maine do as the Mainahs do!  Haha the sayings and such are quite humerous, and I'm looking forward to the dialect and accents.  They don't really talk very different than we do, maybe just not as much emphasis on every letter.  Come graduation, look out America.  Who knows where I may go!









I think I love it!


Xo Loves,

Me

No comments:

Post a Comment