Scorup Cabin

Scorup Cabin

Friday, November 8, 2013

Music, Horses and the Good Lord

There are a lot of aspects to life that I cherish dearly.  Coming from a large, and always boisterous family it's only natural that family would be one of them.  I used to be incredibly hard to excite in any fashion, much like my father, but somewhere along the way I became excitement infatuated.  If that makes any sense.  Now rather than just saying the proper words when given gifts I fully and freely exclaim all my emotion. I'm very excitable and it doesn't take much to amuse me.  Much like a raccoon, I truly do love shiny objects.  I have too many necklaces to count, and an overflowing large tote of beads just waiting to be made into yet even More necklaces.  I'm kind of headed off course here though.  My point however, is that some things about me have changed, but some have not.

I don't know exactly when I started riding horses.  I have vague memories from a child such as not having legs long enough to properly kick my poppa's big Thoroughbred into action, or being set down in freshly tilled garden dirt in white socks because my sister's mare was fixin' to throw us both.  Both my sister and I were given our first horses when we were 10.  That's when our poppa thought we were old enough to properly care for them.  It also might have had something to do with the fact that our first horses were unbroke Mustangs.  Since then my sissy who is 10 years older than I, has only had 4 horses, counting her first and 1 that she sold as a long yearling.  I on the other hand have had 10, and no I'm not a horse trader.  However, it's only due to the strong voice of reason from my parents that I haven't had twice that many.  My little girl horse crazy phase has never ended.

I have become a little more realistic with my horse "dreams" over the years though.  I no longer sketch random pictures of horses and name them after pretty horses in the AQHA and APHA magazines.  They do however, consume a great portion of my life.  I had knee surgery on both knees this summer and am not released to ride until next month, at my insistence.  I did get to ride once in between surgeries and it was heaven.  However, with that being the exception it's been 5 months since I've been on a horse, and it's Killing me!  I have never in all my years ever gone this long without being astride a half-ton, 4 legged beast.  It's almost a cruel punishment, granted before surgery I could barely stand to be in the saddle for an hour.  So there's that, and the knowledge that I'll be completely healed before I know it.

Music.  When I was young I was always sneaking music that my parents didn't think I needed to listen to.  The station was KTMT and I don't know exactly what it was.  Pop, hip/hop, I don't know, but when I was a kid it was N'SYNC and The Backstreet Boys and 98 Degrees.  Boy bands ya know, they were just so dreamy!  My sister was always quizzing me on the country singers though, so I had to keep up with the country station too.  Through highschool my tastes didn't change much, I loved Chris LeDoux, liked Gary Allen, Garth Brooks, Tim McGraw, Brooks & Dunn, Dolly Parton, Reba McEntire etc...  My dad and I love Cusco music, or I supposed technically it's higher octave, but it's basically flutes.  My momma thinks we're pretty strange, but it's incredibly calming and it always makes me think of the fluid movements of a horse. 

Now days I rarely listen to mainstream music.  I do enjoy Classic Country still, but the music they call country today is well I'll be polite because I know that's my opinion.  I can't and will not however, concede that Jason Aldean, Keith Urban or Brantley Gilbert type characters are Cowboy or Country Artists.  They are for the most part redneck, and as such should have their own separate genre.  I want people to sing good old fashioned, honest songs like from the 'Golden Age' 60's-80's.  Those songs told stories, and were from real experiences.  It wasn't ridiculous BS about drinkin on the tailgate of "your truck" (it's a bloody pickup btw, real trucks don't have tailgates), 'mobbin' through mud or shakin it for anyone!  The people who listen to current country are not the same people who listened to it even a decade ago, and there's a reason for that.  It's simply not the same.  Give me some Lefty Frizzell, John Conlee, Marty Robbins or Johnny Horton any day!  My favorite artists right now are not people you hear on mainstream radio.  Artists like Ian Tyson, Brenn Hill, Royal Wade Kimes, Adrian Brannan and Catlin Martin.  I didn't used to like real 'old timey' music, but now it's my favorite!

And lastly but certainly not last, God.  I used to go through what I called religious spurts.  I went to Sunday school as a child, and loved Vacation Bible School.  I didn't quite understand what accepting the Lord into your heart meant though, so I did it every year, just to cover my bases.  Like many, I had several bad church experiences.  Met too many hipocrits who didn't follow the way of the Lord but since they went to church every Sunday by George they were better than me!  I've always had a strong belief.  In fact when I was 10 my brother was in a horrible car accident, one that didn't look promising for his future.  In his coma he drew pictures and wrote messages to us. (Never believe anyone who says coma patients can't hear you.)  In one such picture he drew a wrecked pickup at the base of a tree, the touching part were the angels he drew above it.  If that doesn't make you a believer I don't know what will.  At 14 I was blessed to visit St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York City.  Since then I've always wanted to be Catholic, even though my family is primarily Protestant.  Finally this year I was baptized on Easter, and I'll be confirmed by the Bishop next spring.  I can't begin to tell you the peace my soul now feels.  I love mass, I love being Catholic.  I regularly pray a rosary, I pray to Saints, and I occasionally go to church just to be with our Lord. 

Many experiences we have throughout life shape and change who we are.  But there are three things in life that will never change; my love of a good horse, the honesty of a well written song, and my unwavering belief in the Almighty.






Xo Loves,

Me

No comments:

Post a Comment