Scorup Cabin

Scorup Cabin

Saturday, July 12, 2014

The Cold Looks

The skin on my neck still burns from yesterday's sun as I lay uncomfortably in bed.  The silver moon peeking through the open window.  The air drifts in cool and clear from the recent shower.  1100 miles and a time zone separate me from home.  Behind me I've left family, friends, horses and dogs to pursue a career.  Grand ideas and dreams have led me to this sleepy little town.  On first glance it's beautiful, quaint and even homey.  But one doesn't just ignore the questioning looks, the uncertainty of being a "newcomer".  It's not my first time being an outsider, a new town, a new address.  A few offer tentative smiles, fewer offer introductions.  I can't hear the words but I know what they're saying; "Who is that?", "Why is she here?", "This is our town".  I'm from a small town, and I've lived and worked in others, but this town is different from the others.  It's difficult to respect horsemen who say nothing to a man riding an obviously crippled horse at a competitive event.  Shaking my head in disgust my opinion fell on deaf ears.  The excitement that built upon hearing about said event quickly dissipated in the face of a cold arrival.  I'm not afraid, I'm not about to let the whispers deter me from enjoying what this town has to offer.  Head up, shoulders back I left that arena with a stubborn confidence.  I graduated college looking for a challenge, seems as a simple seasonal I've already found it.  The full moon bathes my room in it's calming and serene light and not for the first time I wish I could bottle up the calmness that it always gives.



XO Loves,

Me

No comments:

Post a Comment