Scorup Cabin

Scorup Cabin

Monday, January 21, 2013

Self-Image

I meant to sit down today and do another post for my TB series, but someone said something the other night on a Facebook page that kind of offended me...

I was commenting on a thread about the difference between the types of cowboys throughout the country, when someone said something rude about a friend of mine.  This friend is an Amazing person and I really look up to her.  I spoke my peace on the matter, and the offender tried saying that's not who they were talking about, but the damage was already done.  The comment really got me to thinking about self-image, and in particular that we all have our haters.

Self-image is something I have and do struggle with.  I go back and forth from being semi-happy with myself to unsure and less than pleased.  Being a woman I'm fairly certain I'm not alone here, but it is something I try to work on.  I recently made a new friend who told me I'm totally awesome!  Who doesn't like to hear that?!  That one simple comment did a lot for my ego, which rarely makes an appearance in my personality.  It made me think that maybe, just maybe I really am awesome.  Every morning the alarm on my phone goes off and as I slide the dismiss button I read 'Wake up Gorgeous'.  A constant reminder does wonders for your overall attitude.  My wonderful roommate also wrote a little message on my shower wall, 'A smile completes any outfit'.  Isn't that just so true?  The way we carry ourselves and how we portray ourselves to others is really important.  If we slunch, yes I said slunch(a hybrid of slouch and hunch) and act mousy or intimidated then that is what people will think of us.  In order to be taken seriously one must exude power and confidence, even if you don't really feel that way inside.  No matter the situation, you are what you make of it.  So make the best of every one! 

It doesn't really matter if we're Joe Schmoe down the road, the Queen of England or someone in between there will always be people who have something negative to say about us.  Naysayers and haters are abundant in this world.  I found a really great quote by Mark Twain: "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions.  Small people always do that.  But the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great".

So lift your chin up, square your shoulders and tackle the ne'er-do-wells in life with reckless abandon.  Smile and say to yourself that it's all O.K. because, well, you're fabulous and that's all there is to it! 








Xoxo Loves,


Me






2 comments:

  1. Great Post!!! I just found your blog and it seems very interesting!! I've been trying to really live for me and not worry what others think or say. It's been hard but i've truly been a happier person by doing it. I wish you the best!

    Erin
    http://diariesfromthedirtroad.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, well I'm glad you found it! My posts are pretty random, I don't really concentrate on any one thing. It is hard to be selfish about yourself. To remember that you matter the most, and if you don't take care of yourself, then there won't be anyone to share with others! Thank You for reading and I hope you enjoy! xoxo

      Delete