Scorup Cabin

Scorup Cabin

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Gary Allan and Dark Skies

"I know I must be going, cause love's already gone.  And all I'm taking with me are the pieces of my heart and all I'll leave are smoke rings in the dark."

So many new changes are coming my way and I finally feel like the young lady I always wanted to be someday.  I just finished my final winter term of college and my mama came up for a little visit.  Since I chose to go to university 11 hours away from home I don't see my family very often.  My papa wanted to come too but there was too much to be done in preparation for summer haying.  Even though I don't live in a small town compared to my hometown, it doesn't offer much in the way of amenities.  If you want to go to a mall or do any real shopping you have to go to Idaho or Washington.  We chose Tri-Cities in WA and just had a blast.  We watched a movie went to a nice restaurant, did a little shopping where my mama got her first smartphone and managed to not get lost once. 

Both coming and going we went through Pendleton, which for those of you who don't know I lived there for 3 years.  While there I made several lasting friendships, fell in love and experienced life as every young college kid should.  The difference between La Grande and Pendleton though is that Pendleton truly felt like home.  I've been fortunate in that everywhere I go I seem to find a family that adopts me, which makes being hundreds of miles away from home so much easier.  Maybe it's that I was more social while in Pendleton but no matter how long I've been away my soul feels an instant calm when I drop down into town.  Graduation is quickly approaching and I'll be moving soon, which means I don't know when I'll be back.  It's ok though, I'll always have the memories.

This morning I got a call from a Range Manager in Colorado, first wondering if I'd accepted another position yet and second if I had time for an interview.  An hour later I was sealing the deal on a Range Technician position in Yampa, CO.  It's a sleepy little town of 300, nestled in the heart of the Rockies, elevation 7,800.  I'm so excited!  I worked 2 summers in SE Colorado several years back and I can't express the joy I feel over being able to go back.  The best part is that even though it's small it's only 25 miles to Steamboat Springs which is quite a bit bigger and sounds like where I'll be doing my primary shopping.  In my opinion it's a sign of a good job when one of your interview questions is if you can drive a manual transmission and pull a trailer.  I love adventure and the Rockies are absolutely beautiful.  The high elevation can be a killer but I swear you feel better, even if your lungs do feel like they may explode with any real exertion.  I'll be living in the barracks with the other seasonals and if all goes according to plan I'll be taking 2 horses with me.  What else can a girl ask for? 

Tonight the skies steadily grew darker, Gary Allan sang to my soul through my Bose speakers.  As the wind picked up and the music grew louder I felt like I was living a dream.  I felt heady and light hearted as thought this life I'm living was not my own.  I may not be exactly where I planned to be 5 years ago, but I'm in a good place.  Life is looking up, new opportunities are all about me and I fully intend on making the best of every one of them.  I've given up on trying to plan my future.  I have a fair idea but the actual planning is not mine to make and the spontaneous nature of it all is something I crave.  Make sure to check back this summer because I should have some grand tales and fabulous photo's to share!



How stinkin' cute is this little town???!!!

XO Loves,

Me
 


No comments:

Post a Comment