Scorup Cabin

Scorup Cabin

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Little Miss Susie Homemaker... Finally

When I was growing up, I was never very interested in cooking.  I would occasionally help my mamma bake cookies or something fun like that.  One year I got a cook book for kids, and I got to make the whole dinner.  But otherwise I've never been the girl who can look in her refrigerator or pantry and say hey I think I'll make such and such for dinner tonight.  I have to plan, buy everything I don't have, and follow the directions.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not a bad cook!  When I do fix food, it's pretty good, it's just that I don't do it regularly. 



Last year I had a guy tell me I was too buckaroo, and he didn't see me as a housewife type.  I seriously took offense to that and immediately went to Maurices, the only store in La Grande, and bought a bunch of girly clothes.  And made sure I Always had on makeup and did my hair... Dang him!  I am good at keeping my house clean, other than my tendancy to want to set stuff on the table always!  Vacuuming and sweeping are my two favorite house cleaning activities.  You really get a sense of accomplishment there.  I then decided to try and start cooking more.  Which seems silly when I live alone...  But I do have a few specialties: Spaghetti and Cheese Bread,  Pancakes and French Toast,  Rice and Chicken,  a yummy Taco Casserole, and omelette/stirfry thing for breakfast.  I know, I know, pretty short list.  But like I said, I'm not big into cooking.  Baking however is much more fun!  I've made lots of baked goods! 

We have a family dinner this friday, and I decided to make some homemade beer bread and a carrot cake.  Awhile back I read one of my favorite blogs, and she did a post on making homemade bread.  It was amazing, and I decided I needed to add that to my list of can dos.  Apparently bread isn't as easy as most baked goods.  Its kinda touchy, takes awhile and everything has to be warm.  Along with the Carrot Cake and Beer Bread I made 2 loaves of Zucchini Bread.  I do not like Zucchini...  But this stuff is amazing!  I add chocolate chips, my momma adds nuts and/or coconut.  But very very good.  So I will share both the Beer Bread Recipe and our Zucchini Recipe (which I may add is probably better than any you've had before ;)  )

Beer Bread
(makes one loaf)

2 1/2 tsp dry active yeast
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp butter (melted)
1 (12 oz) beer (lukewarm)
2 cups allpurpose flour
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp salt

1.  Mix the yeast, sugar and butter into the beer and let it sit until the yeast has dissolved, about 10 mins.
2.  Mix the flour and salt
3.  Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until they form a dough.
4.  Dump the dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5-10 mins, adding more flour if it's too sticky to work with.
5.  Place the bowl in a large greased bowl, cover and let it rise until it has doubled in size, about 1-2 hours.
6.  Punch the dough down, dump onto a floured surface, lightly knead for a minute and let rest for a few mins.
7.  Form the dough into the shape that you want it, place it on a sheet of parchment paper, cover it and let it rise until doubled, about 1-2 hours.  When forming the dough intot he shape that you want it, fold in a bit of the sides under the dough in order to stretch the surface a little.
8.  Transfer the loaf on the parchment paper onto a baking sheet, slash the top of the dough a few times and dust with flour( or corn meal)
9.  Place in a pre-heated  450 degree oven, and bake until crust is brown, about 25-30 mins
10.  Let cool at least 15 mins


                                         
                                           Final Rising


                                                   And the finished product!  YUM


Zucchini Bread

3 eggs
1 cup oil
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar - Mix

Add the egg mix
3 cups zucchini (can add more if you like)
3 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
6 tsp cinnamon
3 tsp vanilla

Add nuts or raisins or coconut or chocolate chips.  Pour into two bread pans (floured) and cook at 325 for 1 hour (usually needs a touch longer)



I hope you all enjoy as much as I did!!!!


That's all for now my pretties....

2 comments:

  1. Super fun! TACO CASSEROLE???? I think you better share this one :) Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very good! It's my sissy's recipe. I'll have to make it here sometime soon and do a post on it ;)

    ReplyDelete