Scorup Cabin

Scorup Cabin

Monday, August 13, 2012

Hoof-falls, Crickets and Jingle-bells

I don't know if you've noticed a trend, but I Love the night!  I'm absolutely terrified of Mountain Lions, but other than the things that go bump in the night I love it.  There's something especially magical about summer nights.  The heat of the day is gone, most people are at home, the world is quiet and somehow softer.

Lately my big sorrel mare has been somewhat crazy.  But tonight I put an English saddle on her and she became a totally different horse.  Jax and I headed out into the fading light.  Head down on a loose rein we trotted off to my parents.  Unlike most of our rides I didn't have to fight her to keep her at a trot.  I had a nice little visit in the yard with my papa before heading back home.

 There was no moon tonight and all I could see was the pale path of the road and the silhouette of my horse.  As the tree canopy closed over us, we became totally engulfed in the darkness.  At that point I had total trust in my horse.  When the road opened up, I let my mare lope.  It was amazing.  I haven't ridden in the dark in a long time.  Loping down the road, without having the advantage of sight is a totally liberating experience.  For those few seconds I was completely free. 

It was just me and my horse.  The sound of my mares hoof-falls, crickets and jingle-bells.  And whatever creatures that happened to be lurking in the night.

Xoxo Loves,


Me

No comments:

Post a Comment