Scorup Cabin

Scorup Cabin

Friday, February 21, 2014

Wild Animals

Have you ever stopped and truly thought about how hard wild animals work to survive?  They endure extreme heat, extreme cold, droughts, floods, monsoons, fires and other assorted natural disasters.  They're hunted, exploited, chased, harassed and relocated.  The overpopulation of humans has had a drastic affect on wildlife worldwide.

Every creature, big or small, cute or scary has a purpose and a story.  We may not always like or appreciate their lot in life, but they're here and we need to live with them.  Sometimes I think even through all their hardships, they really are better off.  Animal life is simple.  A hierarchy exists among every species that dwells together.  There's no lying, no deception amongst the ranks.  You're put in your place by your superior and that's that.  There's a constant battle for supremacy, but it's expected and the alpha always knows it's coming.  One day they will no longer be able to protect what is theirs.  When that day comes they leave, dead or alive.

The life of a wild animal is hard.  Whether it's an endangered black rhino in Africa being hunted for it's horn, a mama cheetah doing her best to defy cub survival rates, elk herds fighting off wolves or fish searching for colder waters.  Every day is uncertain, a constant risk, a battle for life.  Most people only see wild animals once their captured, or through the lens of someone else' experience.  We make jokes about observing some creature "in it's natural habitat".  Those of us who are lucky enough to see wildlife I think most often take it for granted.

Two falls ago I saw a timber rattlesnake for the first time, one of a pair.  The next day I saw a king snake, he proved too quick for my camera skills and I never did get a good shot of it.  Last fall I saw what was either a marten or a fisher.  Neither my dad or I had ever seen one before.  I gawk in amazement when I see big bucks.  I wonder at the athleticism and grace of elk.  I'm unusually afraid of  mountain lions (I used to have nightmares about them jumping through my window and eating me as a child), but their the ultimate predator.  Lithe, graceful, quick, strong and effective.

People who have grown up in the country learn from a young age to respect all animals.  When I was little I was always told that animals came first, and they always ate before I did. The true stewards of the land learn to live and make peace with all animals.  I had a great-uncle of sorts that spent most of the year in a camper in the mountains.  He was so unbelievably a part of the landscape.  He just sat in his little lawn chair quietly reading for hours and hours.  He made pets of deer and squirrels and chipmunks.  He was so accepted by his surroundings that one night he was awoken by a bull elk rubbing on the side of his camper!  He didn't have much and he was far from a materialistic man.  Sometimes I think he had the right idea. 

Anyway, this is no way is an ode to environmentalism.  Nor is it an attack on human kind.  I was just doing some research for a class and came across some fantastic photos shot for National Geographic.  Thought I'd share some with you.  They actually came from the Photo of the Day and I encourage you to check them out, the photo's are outstanding!  Here's the link.










XO Loves,


Me



No comments:

Post a Comment